Fight it all you want; deny it and suppress it with every ounce of your being…the sad fact is…there are restrictions working against you. Time, space, and money are probably the most prevalent restrictions that directly influence my day to day interactions and of course my future plans. Example…I'm a comic fan (I'm sure that comes as no surprise). I used to read them a lot as a kid and even as an adult I have continued to pick up certain select titles here and there. Mostly Batman titles. I have two boxes full. Anyhow, in a much belated attempt to reach out to a cousin who lives near Austin…I went and visited him and his wife and his baby son. We had a great time, a great conversation and plenty of laughs. During the day, we had discussed the Comic Con that was coming to Ausitn in November. We got excited about the possibility of going and getting to be amongst weirdos and feeling free to be the biggest nerds on the planet as we indulged in some of our fondest childhood memories by surrounding ourselves in a world of superheroes, galactic fantasy, monsters, goblins, etc. Well a month ago, my car needed new tires. $450. Three weeks after, my car starts wigging out…I take it to the dealership…it needs a new clutch master cylinder…that's going to cost $800 for parts and labor. So I parked it. I started cruising the little work truck I bought earlier this year…I noticed I had a small leak in one of the front tires…took it to the tire shop…they won't fix the flat because it's "legally bald"…that tire alone…is $150. That's $1,400 in just a few weeks...and I find myself broke...Again. I can't make the silly trip to Austin that I was looking forward to and it suddenly struck me the other night that my life…although seemingly bound by nothing…is still framed by restrictions. Money…or the lack of…time, space…these things matter…and as much as we may not like to admit it…they can determine our choices, our paths, and inherently the direction and outcome to our life story. Do we have control of some of that? Sure. Choices can be made. Obstacles can be overcome. But never discount dumb luck and other people's decisions and how those things can directly or indirectly impact your life. To quote a worn out adage regarding luck, you have to be at the right place at the right time. I might add another element to that though…making the right decision during that time can alter the direction and inevitable outcome of said situation. But that's a long conversation for another time. The struggle...no matter what stage you currently find yourself in this game of life…the struggle against restrictions is real.
Plans are plans. My plans? Well…they'll remain plans unless action and / or an unforeseen catalyst propels a new (hopefully fortuitous) direction. The ultimate reality of of my struggle, though, is something has to change.
In the meantime I have been keeping up with my craft. Trying to hone your particular skill must remain a constant focus to keep some kind of passion in your life as you make the appropriate changes to allow your real life to begin.
These are a couple of portraits I did for my cousin. His beautiful girl and her boxer…and him and his classic 72 Bronco and his boxers…these are unfinished versions but you get the idea.




No comments:
Post a Comment